Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sweets are Addictive

Dr. Oz says if you crave sweets, you have an addiction.
So I guess I do have an addiction. I love sweets and I do crave any kind of sweets. I love cookies, candy bars, cake, pie, donuts, cinnamon rolls, etc. Oddly, I don't use sugar in coffee, tea, or cereal. I eat plain yogurt with fruit and no sugar. If I do use a sweetener, I use real sugar.
Dr. Oz doesn't like the artificial sweeteners, but he does approve of stevia which is a plant based sweetener. It is sweeter than sugar but doesn't add bulk to recipes like sugar does when baking, so recipes need to be adjusted. Honey is a good natural sweetener but does have calories like sugar.
Apparently, if you go without sugar for 2 weeks, you will not crave it anymore. Then you introduce fruits, juices, and low sugar treats. Low fat products are loaded with sugar to enhance the taste. You must check ingredients in all products because sweeteners are in foods that you would never expect. If you see glucose, sucrose or glycolene in the ingredient list, sweeteners are present.

No comments:

Post a Comment