Here is a selection of some of my reading materials.How many of you still subscribe to the daily newspaper? I do. I like to read the paper and do the crossword puzzle. I don't subscribe to any magazines any more. I used to take Better Homes and Gardens and taste of home, but when the subscriptions expired, I didn't renew them. Sometimes I will buy a magazine when I'm checking out at the grocery store, but mostly, I don't. Sometimes at Borders I will buy a knitting magazine.
I browse through the newspaper selection on line, but don't like to read the KC Star that way. I check out some of the news articles on Yahoo and watch the news on tv. Which newspapers do you like to read? Why?
Who subscribes to magazines and which ones do you like? Which magazines would you buy if you were to buy some? Why do you like these magazines?
I subscribe to the Kansas City Star (a liberal rag if there ever was one) and Wall Street Journal, both print and online in each case. As to magazines, I subscribe to Period Living, a British magazine, and to Horticulture, Garden Design and Equus. I have always been really interested in old buildings and Period Living abounds in them. Horticulture often has really useful articles on plants with which I was previously unfamiliar and with planting techniques. Garden Design is a little over the top, but the colors in it are startling and often quite beautiful. Equus is, of course, because of the horses. Sometimes we learn better ideas on caring for our old equine friends. Even the ads can have valuable source information.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was growing up, the whole family loved New Yorker magazine. But along about 1992 it became intolerable and I sadly abandoned it.
One magazine I forgot to mention is Cook's Illustrated. This is an amazing resource for anyone who ever cooks. In addition to well illustrated clearly explained recipes, the editors provide side-by-side comparisons of many utensils, ingredients and techniques. Cook's Illustrated also has a membership website which is a treasure trove of useful recipes and information. It is my first stop for recipe answers.
ReplyDelete