Sunday, June 7, 2009
Favorite Books
I liked the book about Julie and Julia Childe where she cooked all of the meals out of the cookbook. It was cute and funny. I have always liked Agatha Christie but would have a hard time choosing which one is my favorite. The first one I read was called An Affair of Clocks, I think. It had me hooked from the first chapter. Elizabeth George writes unpredictable mysteries about Thomas Lynley of Scotland Yard. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls was a true story that seemed almost unbelievable. I am always searching for new authors who write good books. What suggestions do you have for new contemporary authors?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Susan Orlean has a clear, sometimes ascerbic, writing style which I enjoy. Her book The Orchid Thief is a great place to try her on for size. The book conveys an immediacy and a sense of irony which combine for a fascinating account.
ReplyDeleteI love Jane Langton's way of getting the words on paper. Some of her books are written for young people, but the mystery series is a stellar example of an author's craft. She gets the words out so effortlessly and with wonderful effect.