2 bottles of champagne I have on hand for a special occasion.
The big cork on top is from a bottle of fairly expensive French champagne that I bought for a New Year's Eve toast. It was not very good. I was really disappointed because I had high expectations since I usually buy inexpensive champagnes. Let's talk about champagnes and sparkling wines today. I always think of these wines when I think of celebrating. I like the dry champagnes whether they are white or pink. I especially like them with a strawberry or blueberry or raspberry in the bottom of the glass. I like mimosas made with champagne and orange juice. Saundra makes them fancier than I do. Julie and I used to have mimosas when we had brunch before our plays. The best mimosa I had was with the best Belgian waffle in Brussels. Julie had the mimosa but not the waffle. I always teased her that she really missed out. Now they serve pomosas made with pomegranate juice. Actually, I have tried one at a Red Hat lunch and it was very good.
I have never had a glass of Dom Perignon, but maybe one day. I could never imagine paying that kind of price for a bottle of champagne. Daddy always gave Judy and me little shot glasses of champagne at special occasions. Judy never liked it but I always did.

Oh, yes, mimosas. Yummy! I splash some grenadine in. Red on the bottom and yellow at the top makes it festive and delicious. A good champagne at a decent price for special occasions is Moet and Chandon, White Star.
ReplyDeleteBefore joining in this fun discussion of sparkling wines, a note of appreciation is in order to you, Cheryl! You have done a beautiful job of organizing this great meeting place of a blog. The topics flow naturally from one to another.
ReplyDeleteAs to bubblies, one of my favorites is Schramsberg Mirabelle. Here are two reviews from wine professionals:
Mike Supple, JJ Buckley
December 2008
A pale salmon color in the glass, producing very pink foam. Strawberry and toast surrounded by yeast, coconut and peach with a wild brine hint. Rich on the palate with aggressive mousse and nice bold acidity. Candied strawberries are backed by dark raspberry leading to red delicious apples and a hint of caramel on the finish.
93 points, Wine Spectator
December 2008
A rosé with serious intentions, this has a delicate pink hue and floral strawberry and spicy yeast roll aromas. The flavors show good focus, offering raspberry, Gala apple, ginger and fig flavors. Drink now through 2012. 3,000 cases made. –TF
I came upon this delicious wine in a computer game years ago. Curiosity led me to try it, and it is so good that we have enjoyed it many times. I really like it as a Thanksgiving wine because it is food friendly and it complements traditional foods of the holiday.
In addition to all of the other virtues, Mirabelle is reasonably priced, too!