Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Kind of Drink Will You Be Having Today?

Tea catalogs.
This is my steeped green tea bag sitting forlornly in my tea bag holder that I bought at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I am not a green tea fan, but I bought a box of Bigelow blueberry green tea bags at the store today. Green tea is supposed to be good for osteoarthritis, which apparently, I have developed. I guess I could learn to like it, especially the flavored kinds. Plain green tea tastes like grass to me. Maybe I will order some loose green teas from the internet and give them a try. I like white teas too, and that is a second choice for arthritis sufferers. I am not going to give up my coffee and regular tea, but I shall add green tea to the mix. There is a tea called chai that seems to be in vogue now. It is Masala Chai, India's take on spicy tea with milk. Now there is a new iced tea called boba or bubble tea. That's all I know about it.
I have read the comments and am ready to try the Costa Rican coffee that Saundra talked about. I am going to find out more information about the one cup brewer that Kitty spoke about liking. My sister used to have this funnel shaped thing with a filter that you put in a cup and added the ground coffee, then poured boiling water through the filter in to the cup. It made very good coffee that smelled really fresh. I have this huge bag of beans that Jeff gave me that we are using right now. I grind the beans fresh every night to make the coffee in the morning. I think it is a dark French roast. Dave prefers coffee that is rather weak, but I like a good strong cup to get me going in the morning.
I have never been fond of caffeine free coffees or teas. If I drink more than one cup of decaffeinated coffee, I end up with an awful upset stomach. The tea doesn't do it and I have found a few herbal teas that I like. When Nicole got food poisoning in Mexico, the doctor there prescribed chamomile tea. It was called Manzanilla, but that's what it was. It did help settle her stomach and I used to keep it around for just that purpose. It is also supposed to help you sleep and settle your nerves.
I think there is more ceremony with tea drinking. I once saw Sarah Ferguson put on a tea making and serving seminar about the proper way to serve tea. It was on the House and Garden network. She had an electric water heater that had temperature control. She put loose tea leaves in the strainer. But she poured boiling water in the teapot and swirled it around to warm the pot. Then she dumped it out and put in the tea strainer and poured the water over the tea leaves and let it steep the proper amount of minutes. She put a tea cozy on the teapot. When it was ready, she poured it into the cups. And when I say cups, I mean proper teacups with saucers, no mugs allowed. There was sugar, milk and lemon available. She said you should never never use skim milk in tea. I know the Chinese and maybe the Japanese have tea ceremonies. I shall have to look more in to those.
Coffee always seems like a friendlier drink to me. You have neighbors in for coffee. You go out to a diner for a cup of coffee. A good cup of coffee can finish a meal. Somehow, I don't like to order tea out because I think I am just paying for a cup of hot water with a tea bag on the side.
It is different with iced tea somehow. I like a glass of iced tea in the summer. The southerners serve their iced tea with lots of sugar. I do like some coffee frapuccinos too. Cold coffee tastes good to me with sugar in it. That's about the only drink I like with sugar.
I know alot of people who drink Dr. Pepper, Coke, and Pepsi for breakfast. Somehow, I just can't even try that. I am not much of a pop drinker anyway. All those bubbles don't agree with me.

1 comment:

  1. I always have hot tea for breakfast. If I am not working, I make a pot of tea as I will drink at least 2-3 cups if I have time. I drink Lipton Decaf. I use a little Splenda. I grew up drinking iced tea that had so much sugar in it that my husband said it was like drinking syrup! Boy, was it good!!! I have since gotten used to not sweetening my iced tea. Many times I drink the iced tea with a wedge of lemon. I probably drink far more water with lemon than any other liquid! I have never been a coffee drinker which is weird because both of my parents were big coffee drinkers. I love the smell of coffee being brewed, but I have never had much of a taste for it. I really like Earl Grey tea for hot tea in the evening.

    ReplyDelete