Thursday, January 15, 2009

Romances versis Horror Stories

This is one of Mother's books that she gave me to read last year. Maybe one of these days, I will get to it. I think Fern Michaels is a romance author.
I had to put these on my blog even though I don't like either genre. I especially don't like horror stories because they give me nightmares. I know lots and lots of women read romances. My opinion is they are a frivolous pastime.
My mother-in-law loved Danielle Steele. When we visited mom and dad in Florida, I would read the Danielle Steele's that were laying around. They were OK, but too much alike. My mother likes romances and she likes to read the ending before she reads the story. She says they are easy reading and just fun.
A friend of mine named Linda told me to read V. C. Andrews's Flowers in the Attic. I consider her books to be horror stories because the plots are so weird. This one was about children locked in the attic by their mother who grow up there and in a later book the brother and sister get married. Anyway, I read quite a few books thinking things would eventually work out. They didn't, so I quit reading her books. Linda just loved all of her books.
My friend, Julie, likes Stephen King. I started one of his books, I forget which one, and didn't finish it. It was too scary for me.
My daughter used to read all of Joanna Lindsey's books. She had piles of them in her room. I did read a couple of hers and they were OK. Nicole said she doesn't read her books any more. She probably read them all. Her books are historical romances, I think.
The library has a little heart on the romance books. I haven't noticed what the symbol is on horror stories. It should be an open mouth (scream!) as far as I'm concerned. The mystery books have Sherlock Holmes's hat.
I want to welcome jilltx and pat to my blog. The more the merrier!

3 comments:

  1. Stephen King's mastery is dialogue. Often I have started one of his books with a certain reluctance because it is hard for me to suspend disbelief. But a couple of pages in, the dialogue is so intriguing that I am pulled into the story. The Stand is my favorite of his books. It deals with large themes of good versus evil. The characters are fully realized. The byplay between them is engaging and satisfying. I haven't read his most recent books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that one worked this will be # 5 try. I enjoy reading historical novels, bios,special interests and classical. Right now I'm reading Crusader's Cross by James Lee Burke it's a detective novel which I usually don't read. I picked it up because the author is from New Iberia, LA which we visited on our way south and his novels are based in the Arcadia area. I thought is would be fun to learn of the area through his words. Another recent book was Pudd'nhead by Mark Twain that I picked up in Hannabal, MO.

    ReplyDelete