Monday, March 9, 2009

Cutting Corners

I clip coupons, but seem to forget to take them to the store and redeem them. I tend to shop like Mother, much to Dave's chagrin, and just put things in the cart without looking at prices. I have gotten better about checking price per unit. I like fresh or frozen versis canned. I prefer whole wheat bread and pasta, but Dave won't touch it, and I don't eat enough to make it worth while buying it just for me. I could live on fish and chicken and shellfish. Dave has to have his beef. I do like lamb and the arm cuts are very reasonable right now. I have been buying whipped butter because I just read that it is better for you than any margarine. Dave bakes lots of different breads and I do dearly love bread. Too bad, because it is fattening. Another downfall of mine is sweets and I try to bake some every once in a while but not always have them around.
Medicines are another big expense as we age. Lucky Dave takes none. I try to get the generics but some of mine have no generics, so there you are. I take fish oil, glucosomine/chondroitin, calcium with vitamin D, and I have just tried CO Q10. There are discount places to get some of these and I am going to look into where they are to try to save money.
I started taking pilates in early September and I really enjoy the exercise and the gals in the class. It is very reasonable through the Community Centers. I consider this splurge, money well spent because it is so good for me.
Friends are free and I have many. I enjoy my La De Dah high school pals and the La Des, my Red Hat ladies, and my POC church group. I have friends that I don't see often, but hear from now and then. Saundra and I keep in touch regularly. Gwen and Shermalyne catch up on the latest news every so often. So does Carol S. Lee Ann and I get together every 3 months or at least we try to make these dates. I hear from Jolene every other month. Elfie and I keep in touch infrequently and haven't seen each other in years, but she promises soon! Carol G and I email each other regularly and I miss her since she moved to Florida. Julie and I keep in touch by email and blogs while she is r-v-ing. Jane and I need to get together and catch up on what has been happening in each other's lives. I have reconnected with my college room mate, Anita, and we try to stay in touch. I don't know what I would do without friends. I love to visit and I especially love to laugh.
Family is free, well, most of the time. I am lucky to still have my mother. Then I have 3 children and families but don't see as much of them as I would like since they are all very busy.
Dave's family is in New York, but I email his sister every so often and catch up on their news. I have a cousin in Denver who is 90. Then there is Judy's family, but I only see them about once a year at Mother's birthday party. Michelle sends me pictures of her family once in a while.
After I retired, I found out it is much easier to get by without extras than I thought it would be. Things that I thought I just had to have, now seem totally unnecessary. I don't want a bunch of stuff sitting around to dust, so that is a money saver right there. Nicole usually cuts my hair for free, but now and then I have it cut, but never seem to be satisfied with the cut. Two years ago I gave myself a birthday present and went to the spa for a massage and a pedicure. It was great, but I can't justify the price again. I don't wear nail polish, so don't spend money on these products. I buy Cetaphil for cleansing and moisturizing and my dermatologist said it was as good as any expensive product I could buy. I agree and think it works as well. I buy Clinique make up and lipstick because I can't find a product that matches my skin as well as Clinique and the lipstick stays on. Since I have eczema, I have to be very careful what products I use. I always check the ingredients. There are times when cheap just doesn't pay.
Dave and I do like to go the Keys in the winter but didn't go this year because of finances and also because Rowdy wasn't up to being boarded. I no longer have a pet to spend money on, but Rowdy cost me very little in his 20 years. He had a $350 operation on his ear and I boarded him the last time we went to the Keys for about $300. Other than that, he was a healthy old cat and didn't make many trips to the vet. I won't have another pet because we would like to be able to leave without worrying about how it is taken care of while we are gone. I still do miss old Row and probably always will. I am trying to find someone to take his food, treats, kennel, dishes and brushes, and oh yes, the litter box and scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment