Saturday, March 7, 2009

Put Your Best Foot Forward

Look at the fashionable shoes and dresses Mother, Nana, and Grandma Ellison wore back in the 1940's.
Saundra said I was right about her season: winter. I haven't heard from the others, so I don't know if I guessed right or not.
On the subject of shoes, I bought a pair of $200 Finns five years ago that were supposed to be good for foot problems. They were never comfortable because they rubbed my high instep. I still have them but don't wear them except around the house so I can take them off when they bother me. They are sandals and have adjustable straps on top, but if you loosen them then they won't stay on.
Mother thinks my Crocs are the ugliest shoes she has ever seen. They are so comfortable and light weight and wash off, no matter what you get on them. I even wore them wading around in the water in the Keys. Several of the people I met from Europe or England were buying them to take back home. I notice that hospital workers wear them too. I did read that the holes in the shoes aren't safe for hospital workers. Brett's kids both had on the fur lined Crocs when they came to visit us over Christmas. Kitty also has a pair of the fur lined Crocs. She said they are nice and warm.
I used to want to look fashionable no matter how badly my feet hurt. No more! Now it is comfort first. I love New Balance walkers. They are the most comfortable athletic shoe I have found. When did these shoes become popular? We wore white Keds in high school. The boys wore high top basketball shoes for sports. Then there were white slip on Keds. Remember how inexpensive these shoes were! The first athletic shoe I wore was a blue Nike. I think I paid about $21 for a pair and I thought that was outrageously expensive. I used them to walk every day after I had a herniated disc. When I played tennis, I wore white tennis shoes with white shirts, white short skirts and white socks. It didn't make any difference how well you played as long as you looked good. Carol V. played tennis at Barrybrooke too. That is where I met Julie.

No comments:

Post a Comment