Does anyone else garden? How about tips to save money on plants and gardening accessories? Does it pay to buy cheaper plants?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My blog is a commentary on why people like what they like. For instance, mysteries or romances, teas or coffees, sugars or salts, etc., etc. Your opinions are welcome!
It used to be popular to say that it's better to put a 50 cent rose in a $5.00 hole than the other way around. Those days are long gone. It's still better to dig a nice hole and prepare it properly, but roses, like everything else, have increased enormously in price. Gardening from seed is not particularly a saving because that entails many costs and a lot of time, but it does mean that you can enjoy EXACTLY what you want, rather than having to just go with what's available. I have found mail order plants to be generally quite reliable. There are many specialty sources and a number of large firms. Don't try to skimp on shipping. Plants are not well served by sitting around on loading docks. Perennials grown from seed often don't perform their best the first season. Give them a chance to show their true form the second season.
ReplyDeleteThere is no saving in cheap tools for the garden. Good ones will give many years of service if they are cared for a little. I have been digging in the dirt since I was a little girl.
Whereas some people think of themselves as reincarnations of famous, powerful people, I think I must have been a farmer of some sort. That weeder just fits my hand so comfortably!
I've found that it's best to get plants at a good nursery rather than a "mart" of sorts. I have some particular colors that I like in my geranium pots and have scoured the local places to find just the color I want. Early May I dash out to get them b/c they become harder to find. Then I buy the big lush plants that look good from the get-go and last a good 6 mos. Small ones just don't ever take off for me as well.
ReplyDeleteOne problem I've had w/the hardware store and mart places is the occasional infestation that takes place. By July 4th you could be stuck at a late date w/a dying plant. I just feel that nurseries have better handling and certainly the choice is wide and varied.